Saturday, December 18, 2010

Interview with Gatwick Bear







Gatwick Bear and the Secret PlansRecently I had the opportunity to interview Gatwick Bear, the main character in Anna Cuffaro's book ~ below is our conversation! 

MFM:  What is the relationship between humans and animals, are you seen as comrades or toys?

GB: First, I'd like to say lots and lots of thanks to Maddie for giving me space on her exciting blog. She's a great girl.
Well, now you ask me that question, I've had to think about myself. I have noticed that I'm not like all the creatures around me. For a start I'm furry and they're not. So, yes I guess you'd call them human. Humans and animals get along OK. But humans can be really nasty. Like Miss Acid, the head of security, who digs her pointed nails into me when she catches me. Ah, we're not toys. We are real live speaking animals.


MFM:  How long and why have you you lived in Gatwick Airport?

GB:I don't know because I can only count up to ten. Maybe 10 days, 10 months or 10 years. I don't know if I was born here in Gatwick Airport, or if I was left here by my mother. But this is my home.

MFM:  Are chocolate muffins like your security?

GB:Oh, chocolate muffins are my life! I'd have a bath in them, and I'd shower in them.Wouldn't it be great if they rained down from the sky?

MFM: Why did you run away from the airport?


GB:I was being chased by Miss Acid, got through security with the help of a little girl. She pretended I was her toy. I went to Switzerland and I got into the most terrible trouble. I was even thrown into prison twice! One of the prisons was a pokey cave in the mountains. But my friends helped me escape. It's not easy for a cub like me to tell all the story. You'll have to read the book if you want to know about all my exciting adventures.


MFM:  Was it crazy being involved in the wild schemes of the birds?

GB:It sure was crazy but I couldn't help it. The eagles and vultures kept kidnapping me. That's when I got caught up in the dangerous world of top secret agents. They kept fighting one another and I was stuck in the middle. You'll never guess how I got out of that muddle.

MFM:  How old are you?

GB:For as long as I have been living at the airport, but I don't know how long that is. But I do know I'm a cub because I'm smaller than anyone else around here.

MFM:  Why do you love fizzy drinks, tuna sandwiches, and ice cream so much?

GB:Because next to choco muffins, they are just the tastiest, most delicious things in the whole world. Lucky when I can get them.

MFM:  What was the saddest part of your journey?

GB:When I finally met my big brown bear mama in the Swiss mountains and cruel hunters wanted to shoot her down. And when we found the huge black bear cave in the mountains, that was so, so scary. Yes, scary and sad.

MFM: Thanks Gatwick! I recommend this book for anyone 7 and older. It's super sweet and funny!

Gatwick Bear and the Secret Plans by Anna Cuffaro is available from the publisher's webshop at 20% discount http://bit.ly/dZo0yI. Also available from The Book Depository free worldwide delivery http://bit.ly/gYY17u





4 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot Maddie for this interview, well done! For once we hear straight from a character rather than from the author! It is great, I really like this bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a crazy sounding, fun bear! Love the character POV. ove to see more of this ... easy to read to my kids :) Thanks MFM for your twist on reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bear sounds so lovable and cuddly. Must get the book for my kids. Thanks Maddie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Maddie, this is an excellent interview. You asked great questions, which is how you got such interesting answers. I hope you're able to do more interviews along the way. Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete